The 5 Stages of Grief with Pascal Siakam and the Toronto Raptors
The Toronto Raptors made waves in the NBA trade landscape, closing a deal with the Indiana Pacers. The aftermath of the trade saw them facing the Miami Heat, where they dominated the game from start to finish, leaving fans with mixed emotions.
For those waking up the next morning, emotions ranged from happiness and optimism to a tinge of sadness and disappointment, taking us through what is commonly known as the 5 Stages of Grief. Let's break down these stages and navigate through them like mature fans.
1. Denial: Questions arise about whether the trade was the best deal available. Pascal Siakam's name had been circulating in NBA trade rumours for a year, and the Raptors ultimately settled for three first-round picks. The initial excitement is tempered by the realization of what was given up.
2. Anger: The frustration towards the front office surfaces, a sentiment that has been building since the previous year. The inevitability of Pascal Siakam's trade becomes apparent, compounded by questionable moves like trading Jakob Poeltl for a first-round pick, only to cut contact with Siakam shortly after.
3. Bargaining: The "what if" stage emerges, contemplating scenarios where Pascal Siakam could have been traded earlier. Pondering whether the outcome would have been different if the trade had happened at the deadline the previous year.
4. Depression: A sense of melancholy sets in, not necessarily due to Siakam leaving, but more so because the chapter on the iconic 2019 Raptors team has officially closed. While some may argue against dwelling in the past, for many fans, relishing in the championship glory is a personal celebration.
5. Acceptance: The final stage brings acceptance. The Raptors have chosen a direction, putting their faith in Scottie Barnes and bringing in RJ Barrett and Immanuel Quickley to support him. With three first-round picks in their arsenal, the team is set for an exciting journey ahead.
The Toronto Raptors' recent trade marks a pivotal moment in the team's evolution. As fans grapple with the emotions associated with change, it's essential to embrace the new direction and look forward to the promising future that lies ahead for the team.